Best BB Cream For Acne Prone Skin In 2019
When you have acne-prone skin it can be important to find the appropriate makeup to use; that way, you can both cover up any existing breakouts without making your problem work. The right BB cream, essentially a sheer foundation and moisturizer all in one, can even out your skin tone without clogging up your pores.
What are the advantages of using a BB cream?
BB cream is a light foundation combined with a moisturizer. With acne prone skin, layering product after product can clog your pores and make breakouts worse. When you use a light, refreshing BB cream, your skin can be relieved from any irritation (especially those caused by acne treatments, and the light tint can cover up acne scars and small blemishes, as well as make redness less noticeable.
Many BB creams also contain SPF, which is beneficial as many acne treatments increase sensitivity to the sun, and when you get a sunburn, your skin produces more oil while healing.
BB cream may also be a good choice for people with sensitive skin. Several hypoallergenic products exist, and it can be free of irritating ingredients found in heavier makeup, as well as chemicals, such as anti-aging ingredients, found in CC creams. BB creams lightly cover blemishes without excessive irritating chemicals.
What's the best way to use BB cream?
There are a few different ways to use BB cream, depending on the look you're going for. First off, BB cream acts as a makeup AND a moisturizer--therefore, you don't need to moisturize your face before using it. Apply it on clean skin, and if you use any acne treatments in the morning, put those on before you apply the BB cream.
BB creams are meant to serve as multiple products in one. Therefore, for traditional use, you won't need a primer, either, nor any other foundation. Just apply it to your face after cleansing. If anything, you can apply powder on top for oil control, which can be an issue with acne prone skin, and some blush if desired.
BB cream can also be implemented if you want to wear a full face of makeup. You could add primer in this case for extra shine control, or wear a BB cream that specifies it contains primer. You then could apply the cream, focusing on any blemishes on your face, and then apply full coverage foundation on top, along with any blush, contouring or highlighter. The BB cream may offer better coverage than simply just using concealer underneath foundation, and it may feel lighter, too.
What should I look for in a BB cream if I have acne prone skin?
If you have acne prone skin, it is pretty important to look for a BB cream designed for oily or acne prone skin. Otherwise, the product may still clog your pores, especially BB creams meant for drier or older skin.
An oil free BB cream is a good place to start. If the product has shine control, that's a great bonus. Starches and rice proteins will absorb any excess oil on your face, giving your skin a nice, matte finish.
Skin soothing ingredients can also be a good component of a BB cream for acne prone skin. With acne prone skin, skin can become red and irritated from breakouts, and even from acne medication.
Ingredients like lavender and cucumber are a natural way to soothe redness effectively. If the product has a yellow or green tint, the BB cream will also be highly effective at covering up redness.
SPF, or sunscreen, is an important yet overlooked component of a good BB cream for acne prone skin. Though sunburn may dry out your skin initially, making it seem less oily, when recovering from the burn, your skin will produce more oil as overcompensation.
This can lead to additional breakouts, as well as unsightly redness and peeling from the sunburn itself. Additionally, people with acne prone skin can be more prone to sunburn due to acne treatments. Both prescription and over the counter acne medications can have a sensitivity to the sun listed as a side effect.
Skin enhancing vitamins can be a great ingredient in a BB cream that will naturally improve your skin. Vitamins C and E are two great examples of skin enhancing vitamins.
Vitamin C, or ascorbic acid, is a natural and gentle yet effective way to exfoliate your skin and even out your skin tone. It can fade dark marks, such as acne scars, and help your skin recover from damage faster. This also gives vitamin C a pleasant anti-aging effect.
Vitamin E is well known for being good for your skin. Though it can clog pores on its own or if it's an impure product, when combined with vitamin C, it can be great for acne prone skin. When combined with vitamin C, it helps protect skin from the sun and acts as an anti-inflammatory agent. This can help soothe redness and irritation that breakouts can cause.
Best BB Creams for Acne Prone Skin
Diva Stuff BB Cream With A Mattifying Finish
This product can be a great choice for those with severely acne-prone skin. With tea tree oil, peppermint oil, and willow bark, Diva Stuff BB Cream With A Mattifying Finish can help clear blemishes on acne prone skin, as well as prevent future breakouts. This would have been a great product when I struggled with acne in high school. Some pros and cons:
- Tea tree and peppermint oil keep the BB cream smelling fresh.
- Tea tree and peppermint oil have antibacterial properties, which may kill acne-causing bacteria.
- Willow bark naturally exfoliates skin, preventing clogged pores and future breakouts.
- These ingredients may irritate your skin, so this product may not be best for those with especially sensitive skin.
- This line of products doesn't appear to be available in conventional stores, only online.
- It has sheer coverage, so multiple layers may be needed to achieve full coverage.
Aveeno Clear Complexion BB Cream
Aveeno Clear Complexion BB Cream can be a good option for those who want a gentle BB cream and may have sensitive skin. The product is dermatologist recommended and hypoallergenic, yet lightweight and won't clog pores.
The BB cream does not contain any actual acne medicine, so it can be used in conjunction with treatment or with people who are sensitive to acne medication. It contains both sunscreen and a soy complex to help absorb excess oils and provides a light, sheer tint to help cover up blemishes.
- It's hypoallergenic so that it can be a good choice for those with sensitive yet acne prone skin.
- It has sunscreen, providing skin protection without clogging pores.
- It absorbs excess oil with its soy complex.
- This BB cream doesn't contain any ingredients that fight off existing acne.
- The coverage is a little sheerer than most typical BB creams.
- Only two shades are available.
SKIN79 Super+ BB Triple Function
This BB cream by SKIN79 was designed with oily skin in mind. It contains oil-absorbing Bromelin, skin-soothing ingredients, and vitamin C to revive complexions. SKIN79's Super+ BB Triple Function also has anti-aging ingredients. The combination is good for both effective acne treatment, as well as preventing unsightly irritation.
It feels like a lightweight moisturizer but has relatively full coverage for a BB cream. I love using this product on days where I'm in a hurry and want to use as few makeup products as possible. This specific product is meant for pinker undertones, but they have a sister product for those with cooler skin tones.
- It contains ingredients that absorb excess oil, as well as soothe and protect skin against aging and damage.
- It has good, full coverage for a BB cream. You may not need to use a lot.
- It contains SPF for skin protection.
- Be careful of knockoffs, according to the manufacturer there are some impersonations (the link given is for the authentic product).
- The product takes a few minutes to blend into your skin fully.
- It may feel heavier than a typical BB cream.
Dr. Jart+ Black Label Detox Beauty Balm
Dr. Jart+ Black Label Detox Beauty Balm can be a good product for those of us with clogged pores and constant breakouts. It is powered by botanical extracts, such as Aloe, to soothe irritated, acne prone skin and unclog pores.
It also contains sunscreen to prevent further damage. Combined with anti-aging ingredients, the BB cream keeps skin looking young and clear. It also combats dark spots, as well as effectively covering them.
- It purifies skin, unclogging pores and reducing dark spots, such as acne scars.
- It contains ingredients that soothe red, irritated skin.
- It contains sunscreen and has anti-aging properties.
- The formula is largely plant-based so that it may irritate those with sensitive skin or allergies. Check the ingredients.
- It only comes in one shade. Mixing it with other makeup may help it blend to your skin tone.
- The BB cream has a slightly dewy finish--less matte than the other BB creams on this list.
Lumene Bright Now Vitamin C BB Cream
"Less is more" is this BB cream's mantra. Focusing mainly on vitamin C, this product naturally brightens, exfoliates, and fades scarring without a harsh blend of chemicals.
This may be a good choice for people who have dark spots, irritation or scarring but are sensitive to acne treatments or harsh exfoliants. Lumene's Bright Now BB Cream helps treat underlying blemishes as it covers them, yet still, keeps skin soothed and moisturized.
- This is a gentle, yet effective formula. It may be a good choice if you have sensitive skin.
- It brightens skin, as well as prevents signs of aging.
- It has sunscreen to protect the skin and moisturizes well.
- It has more of a dewy finish, so for excessively oily skin, the powder may also have to be used.
- It only has one ingredient; this may be good for sensitive skin, but other products may be more effective.
- This BB cream is a bit thicker and more moisturizing, so it may feel heavier.
These five BB creams may all be good choices for acne prone skin, depending on your sensitivity and how much coverage you want. I like SKIN79's Super+ BB Triple Function the best. I prefer a product that can do everything at once, which SKIN79 accomplishes with a formula that prevents greasiness, brightens complexions, soothes my skin and protects it from the sun. It is a product that truly covers all bases.