Harmful ingredients in your body wash may be affecting your skin negatively, triggering inflammation and flare-ups instead of just cleaning your skin.
If you have sensitive or easily irritated skin, then keep reading to learn more about body wash and acne, including what you should avoid when looking for your next purchase. At the end of this article, we reviewed five products and determined the best body wash for acne-prone skin.
- Humane Benzoyl Peroxide 10% Acne Treatment Body & Face Wash
- CLn Body Wash
- Natural Riches Anti-fungal Tea Tree Oil Body Wash
- Oleavine Antifungal Soap with Tea Tree and Neem for Body
- ArtNaturals Essential Bath and Body Wash
How To Choose A Body Wash For Acne-Prone Skin
Not all skin is created equally. Some people believe that having overly oily skin is what leads to acne breakouts, but plenty of individuals with dry and combination skin suffer from acne as well. Acne doesn’t discriminate, and if you are putting certain products on the sensitive skin of any kind, then you’re likely to see flare-ups.
In the next section, we will list all of the ingredients you should avoid in a body wash to reduce the risk of breakouts. However, you will still need to keep your skin type in mind before choosing the right product for you.
If you have oily skin, consider a more cleansing body wash that can strip just the right amount of oil from your body. Alternatively, those with dry skin should look for more moisturizing body washes, often with some oil listed as an ingredient.
Most body wash bottles will state the skin type that can best benefit from the product, so be sure to read labels. If you shop for your skin type and avoid the ingredients we cover in the following section; then you’ll be well on your way to choosing an ideal body wash and saying goodbye to your acne.
What To Avoid When Shopping For A Body Wash
Certain ingredients are notorious for the negative ways that they affect sensitive skin. By avoiding them altogether, you can greatly reduce the likelihood of breaking out due to your body wash. Here are the main ingredients to look out for and avoid:
Parabens and Phthalates: These two ingredients are commonly found in body wash as a way to lengthen the shelf-life of the product or add a certain fragrance. They are horrible for acne-prone skin because they are endocrine disruptors that can affect hormone levels and cause acne flare-ups.
This is especially important to consider if you know that your acne is triggered specifically by hormone imbalances. Always check to make sure that neither of these ingredients is in the products you’re buying.
Artificial Fragrances: If you notice artificial fragrances listed in your body wash ingredients, then it’s best to opt for a fragrance-free alternative. These synthetic fragrances are designed with harsh chemicals that can be harmful to sensitive skin. This can lead to a breakout due to irritation or inflammation.
What To Look For When Shopping For A Body Wash
We’ve told you what ingredients to avoid in a body wash, but you also need to know what ingredients to look for that specifically can benefit your acne-prone skin. Here are some ingredients that your skin will love:
Salicylic Acid: You’ve probably seen this ingredient listed on just about every acne-fighting product you’ve used, and that’s because of its effectiveness in treating the issue. It is completely safe and comes from the bark of willow trees, but it strong enough to keep your skin under control. A body wash with salicylic acid is ideal for not only preventing future acne but also in managing any acne you already have.
Natural Fragrances: We advised you to steer clear of artificial fragrances, but that doesn’t mean that you have to say goodbye to smelling nice. Many natural body washes are scented with essential oils and botanical extracts, which are completely safe for your sensitive skin and body.
All-Natural Ingredients: All-natural ingredients will be more gentle on your skin. If you aren’t stripping away your body’s natural oils or irritating your skin, then you are far less likely to be faced with a flare-up.
Body Wash For Acne-Prone Skin Reviews
Humane Benzoyl Peroxide 10% Acne Treatment Body & Face Wash
What this body wash from Humane is formulated with 10% Benzoyl Peroxide, so it is not recommended for sensitive skin. Having said that, this product is extremely effective at cleansing, so it is an ideal option for those who know their acne is caused specifically by bacteria.
It is paraben and fragrance-free as we suggested above, and the Benzoyl Peroxide listed as the main ingredient makes this body wash a great cleanser, especially for more oily skin types.
- Paraben and Fragrance-Free: This body wash’s formula is free from parabens that can disrupt hormone levels and fragrances that can cause inflammation.
- Safe for Face: This body wash can also be used as a face cleanser. If your body is prone to getting acne, then it is likely you need a product for your face as well. This convenient product tackles both.
- Meets Safety Standards: This body and face wash was produced in a facility that operates under FDA regulations and standards.
- Harsh Ingredients: The 10% Benzoyl Peroxide listed as the main ingredient is too harsh for sensitive skin types.
- Faulty Pump: The lotion pump bottle design may sometimes become defective before the product is gone.
- Drying: The deep cleansers in this body wash can sometimes have a drying effect on the skin.
CLn Body Wash
The CLn Body Wash is a clinically-proven product that not only prevents but also treats acne and other skin conditions as well. The formula was developed by professional physicians to target bacteria and inflammation. It is free from harsh chemical preservatives, fragrances, and other ingredients, so it is completely safe to use daily on sensitive skin of all types.
- Gentle Ingredients: This body wash is free of harsh chemicals and preservatives, including parabens. Because it is so gentle, it can be used every day to fight acne.
- All-in-One: You can fight more than just acne with this body wash. It is also effective at combating eczema and several other forms of skin irritation.
- Fast-Acting: After using this body wash daily, you should begin to notice results after just two weeks. Continued use will keep acne, redness, and inflammation at bay for as long as you use this product.
- Non-Moisturizing: This body wash may leave your skin feeling dried out, so it is recommended to apply a moisturizer after using it.
- Small Bottle: This is a fairly pricey product, and the small bottle typically lasts about one month of regular use.
- Severe Conditions Only: This product is unnecessary for a mild acne problem so that it might be a waste of money for most individuals.
Natural Riches Anti-fungal Tea Tree Oil Body Wash
Natural Riches Anti-fungal Tea Tree Oil Body Wash is an all-natural and gentle product that is great for acne-prone skin that is sensitive to harsh ingredients. It features many moisturizing and cooling ingredients, like jojoba oil and peppermint, which make this body wash ideal for dryer skin types and painful inflammation.
- Phthalate, Paraben, and Fragrance-Free: This body wash contains none of the acne-causing ingredients we listed earlier in this article.
- All-Natural: All of the ingredients in this body was are botanical and completely natural. They are gentle and safe for sensitive skin and anyone wary of chemicals.
- Soothing: Ingredients such as jojoba, peppermint, and tea tree can cool and soothe irritated skin during a breakout.
- Oil-Heavy Ingredient List: There are a lot of oils in this body wash, which may not be effective at preventing acne on people with already oily skin types.
- Low-Lather: The natural ingredients in this body wash don’t lather up very much, so it may not be as cleansing as some would hope.
Oleavine Antifungal Soap with Tea Tree and Neem for Body
This is another effective, gentle, and all-natural body wash that is a great option for anyone trying to manage acne-prone skin. It is completely free of chemicals, dyes, and preservatives, so you know you aren’t putting anything that could cause irritation on your sensitive skin.
- Organic Ingredients: Not only are the ingredients completely natural; they’re organic as well. This is great for anyone who wants only the best for their skin.
- Soothing: The oils in this body wash are added specifically to soothe irritated and red skin.
- Great for All Skin Types: This body wash performs effectively on combination, dry, oily, and sensitive skin types.
- Thin Consistency: The body wash comes out of the bottle very watery and can be difficult to work with.
- Low-Lather: If you want a lot of suds to feel clean, then this might not be the body wash for you.
- Bottle: This body wash is difficult to get out of the hard-to-squeeze bottle.
ArtNaturals Essential Bath and Body Wash
The ArtNaturals Essential Bath and Body Wash is an antiseptic and antifungal body wash that can effectively combat acne caused by bacteria on your skin. It is all-natural with none of the harmful ingredients we warn against, and it has moisturizing oils that soften your skin without causing acne to flare up.
- Paraben and Fragrance-Free: There are no endocrine disruptors or skin irritants in this body wash, so your acne won’t be triggered.
- All Botanical Ingredients: Because each ingredient is sourced from plants rather than chemicals, this body wash is gentle enough for sensitive skin.
- Great for Dry Skin: The oils in this body wash mimic and replace your skin’s natural oils, so you shouldn’t experience excess dryness after using this product.
- Oily: The oils in this product make it an undesirable option for individuals with oily skin types.
- Low-Lather: This body wash is more moisturizing than cleansing, and it doesn’t produce many suds.
All of the above five products are great body washes for acne-prone skin. However, we feel that Oleavine Antifungal Soap with Tea Tree and Neem for Body is the best option. It meets all of the criteria we covered earlier in the article, such as being paraben-free, artificial fragrance-free, and all-natural.
Additionally, this body wash is effective on all skin types, while the others listed designed specifically for either dry or oily skin. If you are trying to manage acne-prone skin, we recommend this body wash or one of the others on this list.