We know no one wants dandruff. It ruins even the cutest hairstyle. You also don't want to use more artificial product in your hair than is necessary.
The good news is that there are options to treat your dandruff with natural products. One of our favorite tricks is to use essential oils. Check out how to pick the right essential oil for your hair below.
Advantages of Essential Oils
The biggest benefit, far and away, is that essential oils are natural remedies for many of your most common pressing issues. Yes, that means dandruff - but it also means treating other flaky skin conditions, brittle nails, respiratory problems, and even pesky insects.
A good, pure-grade oil will come in a high concentrate, meaning that just a little can go a long way. The small bottle sizes are nothing to worry about with essential oils. They last a long time and are worth the investment.
They're also fairly difficult to manufacture because of the volume of natural product required to produce the oil, and they can be on the pricier side as a result.
Essential oils are proven to help many common conditions, as noted above. Peppermint oil acts as a natural bug repellent, and calendula oil can help reduce the appearance of scars. Investing in a few different essential oils might be helpful for families with several different conditions to be treated.
They're also calming and versatile and can help improve both physical and mental health. The natural properties can help boost immune systems, help people sleep better, and can even act as a cleanser or makeup remover, depending on the oil.
Choosing the Right Essential Oil For Your Hair
While the benefits of essential oils are many, they aren't all created equal - especially when it comes to your hair. Coconut, lemongrass and tea tree oils can work wonders on hair, but lavender oil might not be the right oil for hair even though it is a good choice of oil for other purposes such as relaxation.
To choose the right oil for your hair, you will want to look for these types of oils:
Others, such as grapefruit oil or eucalyptus, are better suited as natural cleansing products or to calm difficult breathing due to asthma or a sinus infection.
You also want to choose an oil that is specifically designed for beauty, skin, or health. Many of these oils come in different versions for cooking, but if you select one that is specifically manufactured as a beauty product, you will be less likely to select one that will clog your pores or otherwise be too greasy.
How to Use Essential Oils to Treat Dandruff
Essential oils can be used in several different ways depending on the condition being cared for. They can be inhaled, put in a diffuser, or applied directly to the affected area. How exactly you apply an essential oil to treat dandruff is going to depend on the oil itself.
Many are concentrated and pure and need to be mixed with a carrier oil that can help your skin absorb it. Certain essential oils can be applied directly to the skin, but you will want to verify that before applying. You can also look for an oil recommended for dandruff that is also a carrier oil, and save yourself a step if you would prefer.
After mixing your chosen essential oil with a carrier oil, you are going to rub it into your scalp without saturating the rest of your hair. Because who wants greasy hair, right? Next, you will want to cover it with a shower cap or similar cover for a couple of hours.
By covering it, the cap helps your scalp retain as much moisture as possible from the oil - thus, getting the most bang for your buck to treat the dry, itchy skin that is caused by dandruff.
Once a couple of hours have passed, you are ready to rinse it out. You can take a full shower if you would prefer to, which has the added benefit of letting some of the oil soak into your skin in the shower as you rinse it out of your hair.
Or you can just rinse it out in the sink with tepid water. Do not shampoo until at least the next morning, as this will potentially start to dry out your scalp again.
You don't need to do this every day, but keep an eye on it to determine how frequently you want to repeat it. If it's starting to get greasy, back off for a couple of days before trying again.
First Botany Cosmeceuticals Tea Tree Oil
This is a high-quality tea tree oil from Australia. It comes in a 4-ounce bottle, which is unusual for oil. It also comes with a glass dropper at a reasonable price. It is pure and intact with no toxins or additives.
The therapeutic grade of oil is intended specifically to help fight dandruff. It is sometimes recommended for other flaky skin conditions as well. The manufacturer offers a guaranty on their product if at any time you are not satisfied.
- A few drops goes a long way, so even the smaller size lasts for quite some time.
- It has been shown to help with other skin conditions, such as fungus or rashes.
- This oil can be applied directly to the skin without a carrier oil.
- This brand of oil is not as helpful with improving the condition of your nails, which many people also try to use it for.
- This oil has a tendency to smell more like a cleansing agent than many people would prefer.
- Don't knock this bottle over and forget about it - the oil leaks past the seal.
Natural Acres Lemongrass Oil
This is a one hundred percent pure, therapeutic grade lemongrass oil. The manufacturer uses trusted farming sources to produce a natural lemongrass oil, with no chemicals added.
It is manufactured for use on hair, skin, massages, and can even be added to cleaning products for a nice scent. This therapeutic grade can also be used for aromatherapy or spa settings as well.
- This lemongrass oil works perfectly in a humidifier - so you get a multi-purpose product if you want to treat dandruff and sleep better at night.
- The long-lasting scent helps your hair and skin smell fresh instead of smelling like a cleaning product.
- This lemongrass oil provides a natural remedy for more than just dandruff. It is also proven to show good results on other skin conditions such as athlete's foot.
- Use a small dose because it's very potent - but you must use a carrier oil to diffuse it, or it can become overpowering very quickly.
- This might not be right for you depending on how sensitive your sense of smell is. This oil can often smell more grassy than lemony, and no one wants that.
- It does not come in the most user-friendly bottle. It can be tedious to get the oil to drip out cleanly.
Renewalize Extra Virgin Olive Oil
This olive oil comes in a dark glass bottle for better preservation and includes a glass dropper. It is unrefined and cold pressed, and suitable for many different uses.
The high-quality nature of extra virgin olive oil lends itself well to providing many natural antioxidants as well as vitamins A and E.
- The manufacturer provides a one hundred percent money back, risk-free guarantee. You can try this product without worrying if you don't like it.
- It is certified organic by the United States Department of Agriculture.
- When used on the scalp overnight (with a cover!) it is proven to help retain moisture and prevent dry, flaky skin.
- This oil comes out of the dropper too quickly for some, complicating the application of oil onto the scalp.
- It is not good for all skin types. If you already tend to have oily skin, you will want to monitor your scalp closely if using this for dandruff. It could exacerbate oily skin elsewhere, such as on your face.
Coco & Co. Coconut Oil
It can be tricky to find the right coconut oil for beauty purposes, as opposed to cooking or other consumption. Cooking coconut oil can be refined and has a tendency to clog pores if used on the skin - which many people do.
This coconut oil is extra virgin and unrefined, and is pure enough to use generously on skin and hair. It can be used to help treat a number of conditions besides just dandruff, including eczema, dry skin, or even can be used as a carrier oil for others. This oil from Coco & Co. is organic and raw and is designed specifically for beauty purposes.
- This coconut oil is not just good for dandruff. It also helps keep your hair healthy, thick, and shiny with lots of vitamins.
- The eight-ounce glass jar allows for a good amount of product for the price while also being easily stored and portable.
- It also comes in a travel size for those who are frequently on the go but do not want to sacrifice hair care.
- This is a product on the pricier end of the scale, which can be a big turn-off for many.
- The delicate glass jar is easily broken if handled roughly.
- It does not come with a reasonable way to dispense the product, even though it is a liquid in a jar. It can be very messy to use properly as a result.
Majestic Pure Cosmeceuticals Peppermint Oil
This minty fresh oil is a heavier concentrate than most oils, so a little goes a long way with this peppermint oil. To apply, mix a few drops with approximately two tablespoons of a carrier oil, such as olive oil, and massage into the scalp.
You will want to leave it on for a couple of hours and then rinse out. Repeat as frequently as is needed throughout the week. This peppermint oil will leave your hair healthy and fresh.
- It is proven to calm itchy, irritated scalps - therefore making it an excellent option to treat your dandruff.
- As a side benefit to treating dandruff, this oil also serves as a natural insect repellent.
- Besides helping to keep your hair healthy, it also can help clear sinuses naturally.
- This is a topical product only - it can be easily confused with peppermint extract so keep it located far away from your kitchen if you are purchasing it.
- The mint scent is strong. That's a pro if you like mint, but if you don't, this is not the oil for you.
For the value, additional health benefits, and numerous ways in which it serves as a natural remedy, the peppermint oil by Majestic Pure Cosmeceuticals is going to be the best choice for many.
If you are looking for a natural remedy for dandruff, you will undoubtedly want a natural remedy for a variety of other conditions as well. This peppermint oil serves that exact purpose. You can help treat a sinus infection, keep bugs away, and calm your irritated scalp all in one little bottle at a reasonable price.