Best Face Mask for Acne Prone Skin In 2020
Everyone's skin is different, so it's highly important that you buy skin care products that work best for your skin type. Face masks can significantly improve your skin's health since they often are imbued with helpful nutrients that promote skin cell regeneration and acne prevention.
Why Should I Use Face Masks?
Face masks are a great way to remove impurities, hydrate the skin, and tighten the pores. While washing your face every day helps to clean out dirt, oil, and makeup, face masks provide a detoxifying effect that refreshes your skin and gives it a healthier glow, which is a huge win for those with acne prone skin.
You can't get too far into your pores with a simple rinse, so face masks aid in giving you a deep cleansing by drawing out dirt and oil from beneath the top layers of the epidermis, where acne thrives.
There are usually ingredients in face masks that are specially designed to unclog your pores by absorbing excess oils and removing residue from the surface. Those who get acne often most likely aren't using products that reach the birthplace of acne which is deep down in the pores where it develops from trapped bacteria.
Face masks also tend to make the skin glow and appear healthier after removal. When face masks with active ingredients start to tingle, they stimulate blood circulation which speeds up the skin cell regeneration process. When the mask dries, it causes an expansion of blood vessels in the skin, leaving you with a soft feeling and an improved complexion.
What to Look for in Face Masks
Acne-prone skin can be difficult to work with, but if you get the right kind of face mask for your skin type, you can benefit from its ingredients. While it can be very tempting to look for the strongest products, you don't want any harsh chemicals near your skin when it's already having a bad time.
Soothing ingredients like oatmeal or honey give a more natural and organic approach to battling your blemishes. They both act as an anti-inflammatory, and they help to cleanse acne-causing impurities. Other ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, collagen, aloe, algae, and peptides help soften and hydrate the skin if you have a combination of dry and acne sensitive skin.
For dull skin, look for masks that are rich in fruit acids and enzymes. They exfoliate the skin and dissolve dirt that dulls the complexion. Light water-based formulas rejuvenate the skin, leading to a plump and glowing look along with brightening your skin tone.
If you have oily skin, it's usually because of hormonal changes which can overstimulate sebaceous glands. Because of this, you should consider looking for clay-based masks made of kaolin or bentonite clay since they act as cleansing agents that soak up dirt and oil along with removing dead skin and encouraging cell regeneration. For acne scars or hyperpigmentation, clay-based face masks help to improve your complexion and skin tone.
How to Use a Face Mask
Because face masks can get a bit messy, it's recommended that you tie back your hair and wear clothing that you don't mind getting dirty. Once you're done with that, prepare your face by washing it with your daily cleanser to remove all surface oils, dirt, and other impurities, so your face is clean and clear. This will help to make sure that all the properties and ingredients of the face mask are absorbed without any obstructions.
Make sure your hands are damp so that you can apply the face mask easier onto your skin. Try not to rub the mask into your skin; it'll do its thing without having to be rubbed in. When you're done, it should look like frosting on a cake. Don't apply the mask too close to your eyes or nostrils, and feel free to extend the mask down to your neck to achieve a more even skin complexion.
Most face masks require you to leave them on for at least 10 minutes, but you should follow the instructions since the mask's benefits connect with how long you leave it on for. If your mask is a wet clay form that's meant to dry, then you should do exactly that. Rinsing off a clay mask too early might hinder you from absorbing all of the mask's important ingredients.
After your mask has dried or reached its peak usage, be sure to use plenty of water and a washcloth to remove the mask from your face gently. Face masks are designed to stick to your skin but try not to be too harsh when washing it off. Pat the skin dry instead of rubbing to avoid irritation and redness.
Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay
This clay-based face mask is known as the "world's most powerful facial." It's made out of 100% natural calcium bentonite clay and has deep pore cleansing properties that have been used for centuries to refresh and beautify the skin.
This bentonite clay originates from Death Valley, California, where it's sun-dried for up to six months reaching temperatures as high as 134 degrees Fahrenheit.
Cleopatra was known to use clay from the Nile river and the Arabian desert as part of her beauty ritual, and this Aztec Indian Healing clay gives you a tightening and pulling sensation while removing your skin's impurities, dirt, and excess oil.
- Doesn't contain any additives, artificial fragrances, or animal products
- Simple to use by adding water or raw apple cider vinegar and mixing it into a smooth paste
- Easy to remove and has multiple uses for body, clay baths, body wraps, or can even be chilled
- Mixture can be clumpy if mixed with water, so raw apple cider vinegar is recommended
- May clog drain due to thickness so hot water is needed to melt it away thoroughly
- May feel slight pain if kept on for too long, especially around sensitive areas
Aria Starr Beauty Dead Sea Mud Mask
Made with the highest quality mud from the Dead Sea, this face mask performs three skin cleaning actions all at once with its detoxifying, exfoliating, and deep cleansing properties.
It also helps to fight against blackheads and tricky acne thanks to ingredients like magnesium, calcium, zinc, and potassium which extract blackhead from their source and remove old skin and dirt from pores.
It additionally tightens the skin by minimizing your pores and refines your skin's texture for a healthier complexion and skin tone. This is an ideal face mask if you have dry or sensitive skin thanks to its advanced spa formula made to moisturize and stimulate blood circulation for healthier skin.
- No harsh chemicals, just natural ingredients from 100% natural shea butter, aloe vera, and jojoba oil
- Leaves skin feeling smooth and doesn't leave you with a burning feeling
- Detoxifies, exfoliates, and cleans pores all in one formula for optimal cleansing effect
- May feel slight discomfort around nose and eyes for those with sensitive skin
- Can leave a bit of a mess in the sink once it dries
- Takes a bit longer for results compared to other face masks, but still effective
Majestic Pure 24k Gold Facial Mask
This facial mask is an excellent Anti-aging, anti-wrinkle, and anti-acne formula that's made up of ingredients that prevent visible aging and helps to firm and brighten up the skin.
Gold was used in ancient civilizations as a luxurious skin-healing remedy, and since it's one of the softest metals in existence, it can be easily absorbed into the skin, giving this face mask wonderful healing and anti-aging properties.
Portulaca Oleracea Extract is this mask's most powerful antioxidant component that helps to counteract damaging radicals and remove toxins from the skin to prevent acne. Since the mask helps reverse oxidation damage to the collagen fibers, this results in the regeneration of new cells, bringing a youthful radiance to all skin types.
- Helps fight acne thanks to its many antioxidants and antibacterial properties
- Has four solutions in one for moisturizing, brightening, intensive repairing, and firming
- Most suitable for dry and mature skin without irritation or discomfort while applied
- Smell is not very pleasant
- Some may have an allergic reaction to the gold flecks imbued in the cream if they have an existing metal allergy
- Is a light formula so may not be too ideal for those with harsher skin issues
Yes to Tomatoes Detoxifying Charcoal Mud Mask
This is a cruelty-free natural mud mask that helps to fight acne and blackheads with activated charcoal, prevent acne breakouts with salicylic acid, and hydrates with an organic blend of tomato, aloe, watermelon, pumpkin, and chamomile extracts.
Its formula is 96% natural paraben, SLS, and silicone free so you won't have to worry about rough chemicals doing any more damage to your skin. The activated charcoal draws out impurities such as blackheads and excess oil as the mud mask dries, additionally tightening the pores and firming the skin.
It's fantastic for dry and oily skin types due to the mask's moisturizing ingredients and powerful dirt pulling effects.
- A little goes a long way. Thus the same result can be achieved with a thin layer to make the product last
- Safe to apply on hair such as eyebrows or sideburns
- Natural and cruelty-free, applies and rinses off easily with no discomfort
- Not recommended for those with allergies to tomato, watermelon, pumpkin, or chamomile
- Can gum up and clog your sink if you applied too much before it dries
- May be uncomfortable for those with sensitive skin because of the mask's pulling effects
Freeman Feeling Beautiful Charcoal & Black Sugar Gel Mask
Made in the U.S.A. and not tested on animals, this dual action face mask and scrub features a unique polishing effect and works double time to clean the skin by detoxing the pores and exfoliating for a smooth and healthy face.
The natural activated charcoal works to absorb dirt, oil, and other skin-damaging impurities to treat and prevent acne and blackheads without excessively drying out the skin, while the black sugar does its job of scrubbing away old and dulling skin cells for a soft and clean feel.
The mask's formula is perfect for all skin types and is made of various botanical extracts so that no harsh chemical ingredients irritate the skin.
- Great for those with oily or dry skin due to the mask's scrubbing and detoxing effects
- Wonderful scent and can feel a warming sensation when using it
- Reduces redness, tightens skin, and brightens complexion
- If used as a mask, application is a bit difficult because of the gritty and clumpy texture
- Sugar particles are rough so may not be ideal for sensitive skin or broken skin
- Some may break out after first use since the mask doesn't hesitate in drawing out impurities
Of all the mentioned face masks for acne prone skin, the Aria Starr Beauty Dead Sea mud mask takes the spotlight. Because the Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay requires additional substances to be used, the Aria Starr mud mask beats it regarding convenience and ease of use.
For those who have acne sensitive skin, it was noted before that clay-based masks are more beneficial. The Aria Starr mud mask has three cleansing actions in one, making it a powerful weekly mask to rid your face of all its dirt, oil, and other impurities.
If you often break out in blemishes, it's most likely because you have an oily skin type, so mud masks such as the Aria Starr mud mask will work to absorb skin-damaging elements better than lighter water-based formulas. Clay based masks also help to improve your skin's complexion and tighten the pores, which the Aria Starr mud mask specializes in.
You don't have to worry about your face drying out either due to the mask's moisturizing shea butter, aloe vera, and jojoba oil ingredients. This Dead Sea mud mask brings everything you need in a facial mask for acne to the table and is highly revered by its users for its effectiveness and professional spa quality.