With the wide array of specialized shampoos available today, it can be difficult to narrow down your search to one product. Knowing what to look for and how to compare, will allow you to make an informed decision when choosing the best shampoo for keratin-treated hair.
- Luxe Organix Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo
- Keratin Complex Keratin Color Care Shampoo
- Paisle Botanics Hydrating Shampoo
- OGX Shampoo, Ever Straight Brazilian Keratin Therapy
- Arvazallia Professional Series Advanced Hair Repair Shampoo
The Benefits of Using Shampoo for Keratin Treated Hair
After spending much time and money in the salon to get your keratin hair treatment, you’re likely happy with the beautifully smooth, healthy-looking result. The keratin hair treatment is widely acknowledged to tame frizz and difficult, crazy curls like little to no other treatment or product can.
To retain that fresh out of the salon look for as long as possible, it’s a wise decision to invest in a quality shampoo for keratin-treated hair. These specialized shampoos are free of sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), which strips the hair of its natural oils and will reduce the time your treatment lasts.
Shampoos for keratin-treated hair will tame frizz, moisturize, and repair damage. You can read more about the benefits of using this product on your keratin-treated hair here
How And When To Use Shampoo For Keratin Treated Hair
As you may already know, it’s important to wait at least 72 hours after you get your keratin treatment before washing your hair. Once you’ve waited the appropriate time frame and are ready to commence your normal washing ritual, experts recommend that you use cool or lukewarm water, followed by a cool rinse.
Washing and rinsing with cold or lukewarm water will close the cuticles of the hair over the shaft, which leads to more protection against harsh chemicals and healthier looking hair.
Here is more information on why utilizing a cooler water temperature in the shower is a smart move.
It’s also highly recommended that you follow up your shampoo with a conditioner and serum that’s specially formulated for keratin-treated hair. Many are sold paired together, which eliminates the stress of having to worry about purchasing a conditioner that would not coordinate well with your shampoo.
What To Consider Before Choosing The Best Shampoo For Keratin Treated Hair
When comparing different shampoos for keratin-treated hair, there are multiple factors you’ll need to consider before moving forward with a purchase. The first consideration involves determining what shampoo for keratin treated hair is best formulated for your specific hair type.
If you have dry hair, you may want to look for a product that focuses on moisturizing. If you have thin hair, you may want to look for an appropriate shampoo with a thickening agent.
The last thing you want after a keratin treatment is to have oily, dry, flat, or frizzy hair because you failed to choose the best fit of shampoo. Some shampoos for keratin treated hair are even geared towards color-treated hair, so if you have colored hair, this may be your best bet.
You may prefer shampoo that was made in an animal-friendly and eco-friendly way, or you may want a product that was made from all-natural ingredients. Argan oil is a popular natural ingredient frequently used in shampoos for keratin-treated hair.
This YouTube video is a review of some keratin safe shampoos and the user’s experience with the different products. This may give you some insight into what to keep in mind when you’re comparing products that would be best for your specific hair treatment needs.
Controversy With Keratin Products
Formaldehyde is a toxic chemical that has been linked to cancer. Some keratin treatments and products may have varying levels of formaldehyde in them and, with long-term use, are thought to correlate with a greater risk of cancer.
The FDA has even warned against this, so make sure if you decide to go for a keratin treatment or purchase shampoo for keratin treated hair that it’s formaldehyde-free. This way, you won’t have to compromise your health to achieve the luscious locks you’re looking for.
To read more about the negative health effects that keratin treatment and products with formaldehyde may have with continued use and to better understand what to avoid, visit this site.
Now that you’re aware of the value of finding the best shampoo for your keratin-treated hair and what to keep in mind when comparing products, you may want to take a look at these five, high-quality keratin safe shampoos that we recommend.
Luxe Organix Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo
This all-natural shampoo has a long list of benefits for a wide array of hair types. While Keratin is not in the name of this product, it is listed as being a safe and effective way to wash your keratin-treated hair. It also boasts to have thickening elements for thin hair, as well as moisturizing and color-safe perks. Other admirable traits of these products are that it’s SLS sulfate and cruelty-free.
- The Luxe Organix Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo moisturizes and thickens while being safe for color-treated and keratin-treated hair.
- No animals were harmed in the making of this shampoo. If you like to invest in animal-friendly products, using this shampoo for your keratin-treated hair may be a good fit.
- It’s SLS sulfate-free. This is a key point that needs to be met by shampoos, especially ones for keratin-treated hair.
- If you have particularly oily hair, this product may not be the best fit for you.
- For the high-quality of this product, Luxe Organix is setting a slightly higher than average price, which may not agree with your wallet.
- Consumers reported not enjoying the smell of this product, claiming it is comparable to that of bubble gum. Depending on your preference, the smell could be a deterrent.
Keratin Complex Keratin Color Care Shampoo
Next, but not least, on the list is the Keratin Complex Keratin Color Care Shampoo. This shampoo is optimized specifically for keratin-treated hair which is also colored. If you have color and keratin-treated hair, this may be an ideal shampoo for you. The specialized, sulfate-free formula also claims to rejuvenate and moisturize hair.
- This product does not weigh down fine or thin hair while it moisturizes and is safe for use on both keratin and color-treated hair.
- It’s a more affordable way of getting the same results you might get in a salon.
- If you have a sensitive scalp, the perfumes in this product may cause a reaction.
- While far more affordable than salon products, there are less expensive products that claim to have the same effects.
Paisle Botanics Hydrating Shampoo
The Paisle Botanics Hydrating Shampoo is an inexpensive, natural, sulfate and paraben-free shampoo for color-treated, keratin-treated, and damaged locks. This shampoo is for both men and women, and its main ingredients are keratin, coconut, argan oil, and aloe vera.
- This shampoo for keratin treated hair works for nearly all, if not all, hair types.
- This is completely free of harmful chemicals and is 100% natural.
- This is one of the more affordable shampoos falling under the category of shampoo for keratin-treated hair.
- Depending on the water you have, it’s reported this product may not work as well.
- The bottle does not come with a pump, which may be an inconvenience to some.
- Hair may not react well if it’s bleached.
OGX Shampoo, Ever Straight Brazilian Keratin Therapy
The OGX Shampoo, Ever Straight Brazilian Keratin Therapy is an affordable option to maintain keratin-treated hair. It is free of sulfates and contains surfactants, which help to straighten the hair by lowering the tension between surfaces. In addition to being safe for color and keratin-treated hair, this shampoo smooths out and strengthens locks.
- The OGX Ever Straight Brazilian Keratin Therapy shampoo’s sulfate-free composition leaves hair smooth and moisturized without weighing it down.
- Using this for your keratin-treated hair won’t affect your color treatment.
- This is an especially effective product if you’re looking to dull down excessive curls.
- Some have reported that this product dries their hair out. If you have dry hair, it may be a good idea to shy away from this shampoo.
- It may not leave your hair feeling as clean as other shampoos.
- This shampoo does not lather up much, and you may not like the thin, liquid-like composition.
Arvazallia Professional Series Advanced Hair Repair Shampoo
Last but not least is Arvazallia Professional Series Advanced Hair Repair Shampoo. This shampoo for keratin treated hair is sulfate-free and okay to use on both color and keratin-treated hair.
They claim this product promotes natural hair growth, moisturizes, and restores the hair’s natural elasticity while also improving its texture and manageability. Developed with all hair types in mind, its composition includes Moroccan argan oil and macadamia oil.
- This shampoo works well on re-moisturizing and improving split ends and the general damage which may occur with colored hair and keratin hair treatments.
- This is a high-end product that also happens not to contain sulfates. If you’re searching for higher quality, a salon-like product that won’t be harsh on your hair, the Arvazallia Professional Series Advanced Hair Repair Shampoo is go-to.
- The company who manufactures this product is known to deliver unparalleled customer service and follow up.
- Some people report dissatisfaction with the high cost of this shampoo for only seeing mediocre results.
- Rare cases have resulted in a bad reaction to the product, causing hair to look damaged or unchanged.
- A few amounts of product users have reported a slight amount of hair loss following the use of this shampoo.
Although all of these shampoos for keratin treated hair are impressive in different ways, our favorite pick of the bunch is the Luxe Organix Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo.
While all of the shampoos on this list boast of an all-natural, or nearly all-natural, composition, none are cruelty-free and eco-friendly like the Luxe Organix Moroccan Argan Oil shampoo.
Although this product is higher in price than similar products you could purchase at a store, you would still be saving more money than you’d spend at the salon for the same results.
This shampoo for keratin treated hair may even have salon products beat, as it is effective on all hair types, has few irritant-related side effects, and does not cause damage to the environment or promote animal testing.